Dirty Bomb, GamesTM, and GamesMaster announced closures this week
In a statement on Thursday, Splash Damage, the company behind the first-person shooter multiplayer video game, discussed the future of Dirty Bomb, revealing that it would be ending development and updates for the game. The company cited finances as the deciding factor behind the closure.
“Unfortunately, despite all the added time and resources, there were some challenges we couldn’t overcome, and we were not able to make DB the success that we hoped it could be. The bottom like is that we can’t financially justify continuing to work on the game we love.” said Splash Damage, in their statement.
Released in 2015, Dirty Bomb was previously known as Extraction, and is a free-to-play competitive shooter set in London following a radiological attack, according to the game’s website. The word “dirty bomb” refers to a weapon combining nuclear waste and explosives.
Despite Dirty Bomb ending, Splash Damage did reveal that there were “many announced and unannounced titles in production”.
GamesTM and GamesMaster are also shutting down, announced Friday morning. Both are multi-format video game magazines based in the UK under Future plc, an international media group and leading digital publisher. Financial concerns determined ending the publications, as well.
“Despite the company’s strong performance overall, unfortunately GamesTM and GamesMaster are no longer profitable parts of the business, which means that their next issues, on sale November 1st, will be final editions,” said Future, in a statement.
GamesMaster is known for being the “UK’s number one multiformat games magazine, operating for over 25 years. GamesTM released its first issue in 2002.
Future will continue to run its other multiformat magazines, including consumer magazine Edge, PC Gamer, Retro Gamer, the official Xbox and PlayStation publications, and MCV. This also includes the website Gamesradar, the online publication for the magazines.